Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Goodbye

I'm closing Restraint of the Heartless now.

I think now you deserve to know the meaning of "Nulono".

In Esperanto:

  • "nul" is the word for zero.
  • "-on-" is the suffix for creating a fraction ("kvar", meaning four, plus "-on", plus "-o", makes "kvarono", a fourth or a quarter)
  • "-o" is the standard grammatical ending for nouns

Thus a "nulono" would be a "zero-th", or one divided by zero.

Now, division by zero is impossible (as far as we know in 02009), and would have some very serious implications if it was possible. Consider the expression a=b, where a and b can be any numbers. Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that a=2 and b=3002.
  • 0*2 = 0
  • 0*3002 = 0

By the reflexive property, 0=0.
Because 0*2 and 0*3002 are both equal to zero, we can substitute them in as such:
  • 0*2 = 0*3002

So, by the multiplicative property of equality, if divide both sides by zero (multiply them by one "nulono"), we will arrive at an equation that still holds true.

Thus:
  • (0*2)*(1/0) = (0*3002)*(1/0)
or
  • (0*2)/0 = (0*3002)/0

Simplifying, we get:
  • 2 = 3002

This exact same procedure works with any two numbers. Thus, the existence of 1/0 would make any number equal to every other number. Numbers, thus, would be completely meaningless, and the entire field of mathematics would come crumbling down.

What doe! s this h ave to do with me, you ask?


Yes, I am an atheist (in fact, I am an antitheist). I am also a liberal (in fact, I'm a communist). I am also a feminist (In fact, I support the Equal Rights Amendment*). I am also pro-gay. I am! also in favor of helping those in need. I am also pro-science.

Yet I am also pro-life.

I make many people's stereotyping world-views crumble to the ground, just like 1/0 would do to mathematics. I chose "Nulono" because I pretty quickly decided "Cde. Oxymoron" was setting me up for trouble.


*, though equal prote! ction is already in Amendment XIV, so it's technically redunda! nt.

reflexive property

No comments:

Post a Comment